This page describes the definition of Grid views. Fields are displayed in columns: this is suitable for most Content Types and is the default.
Here you can define:
- the fields that are to appear on the search results screen
- the order in which they are to appear
- the width for each field
- which fields are to be clickable links to the full record
Having selected Grid view, you now need to define it.
Defining the fields
You can add as many fields as you want, although obviously too many fields would not display well. You can define a second line for the display if needed.
To select which fields are to display:
- Click on the drop-down list to select a field to display - these are displayed in alphabetical order
- To add another field to display, click on the Add Column button and select another field
- Continue until you have defined all the fields you need
To remove a field from the display, click the red cross icon next to the field.
Note that images will not display in the grid view
Defining the widths
Then, define the widths for the fields. This can be done in percentages (the default), pixels or automatic.
You can mix pixels and automatic, but percentage cannot be mixed with any other type.
- percentages: just type the number against each field. The total for all fields must add up to 90%: this will calculate automatically as you enter values so that you can see how much you have left. A red asterisk next to the Add Column button tells you if the number does not add up correctly.
- pixels: just type the number against each field
- automatic: the field widths calculate automatically so you do not need to enter a value for the width. Each column is assigned an equal width, irrespective of the contents of the field.
If you are displaying the Ratings field in the search results, you will need to allow at least 20% of the width
Defining which field values to display
For multi-value fields, you can display just the first value, or all values.
From the "Show Values" drop-down list select All (the default) or Single.
If you select all values, they display vertically:
Defining which fields are clickable links
You can define which fields are to be clickable links to the full record. It is recommended that you select only one so that it is clear for the user, but it can be any of the fields in the table. By default only the first field you define is ticked to be clickable.
Tick the check box next to the field to make it clickable.
Caution should also be used on Thesaurus fields: if this is applied in the search results it will open the full record, whereas in the full record clicking on that field will search for all items using that term, so this could be confusing.
If you have too much information to comfortably fit across the width of the screen, you can define a second line for a record which spans the width of the table and can contain any number of fields. For example:
To enable this:
- Tick the check box "Enable two lines search result grid"
- Create a template for the second line
- Assign the template in the relevant Record Types for this Content Type
To display an icon showing whether the record is published or not, tick the check box "Show published option". Records display as follows:
Finishing the process
When you have finished, click Save & Close in the Actions menu.
To exit the definition without saving, click Close in the Actions menu.
Either way, you will be returned to the list of Content Types.