Auto Cataloguing allows you to import individual records from other data sources. The available data sources are:
- Library of Congress
- Nielsens - note that this is a paid-for service. If you are interested in this service please contact Marcus who will arrange a quote and set-up of the service for you.
Before you can use this facility, you need to set it up in System Management:
- Select which data source(s) will be used
- Define the mappings between the data source and the Soutron Library Management System
- Specify whether or not the imported records are automatically published
Some points to note
It is important to be aware of the following when deciding whether or not to use this facility:
- Publication Dates - these often have full stops at the end in the imported data, and as this makes the date unrecognisable by SQL, these dates won't get imported
- Thesaurus fields - note that all entries in the imported data will be added to your thesauri, so you may get data in formats that are different to those you use
- ISBN number - entries in the imported data often have additional text, eg 9780470672709 (pbk). If you use the book cover display facility, you will need to remove this additional text in order for the ISBN to be matched in Google or Amazon
- Abstract and Table of Contents (Rich Text fields) - if the source data contains field(s) with multiple entries where the Soutron field is set as single entry, import of the whole record will fail
To access Auto Cataloguing, select Modules > Cataloguing > Catalogue Record Import.
The following screen appears:
There are five steps in the process:
- Select the data source
- Search for a record to import
- View the search results and select the correct record
- Confirm the selected record for import
- Assign the Content and Record Types
Experiencing problems with importing catalogue records? See the Troubleshooting Guide.