By anonymising a user record you are deleting all personal information about the user, this can help you comply with your GDPR commitments. At the same time it still allows you to retain key information about a users activity such as loans. This then still allows them to be included in your reports & statistics but without identifying the individual.
It is not possible to anonymise users with a role or fictitious users via this method, instead you should manually anonymise their account. Remember, if they have created catalogue records your anonymised name will be shown instead of the cataloguers real name.
There are two ways to anonymise a users.
Anonymisation of users is NOT reversible. Please use this option with extreme caution.
Anonymise users in bulk
First you must create the anonymise user task, this is done via task centre.
- Click 'Create task' in left actions panel.
- Enter a description for the task, and ensure it is set to active.
- Select the 'Task specific settings' tab.
- Select 'Data maintenance' and 'Anonymise user data' from the two drop downs.
- Anonymise below user data: We realise you might store non-personal information in user records which could be useful to retain so we allow for additional fields to be removed if you require. UserID, first name, last name, email will be done automatically. This option also includes a drop down allowing you to select to only apply anonymisation to imported users, users not imported or all users. If you are unsure if you have imported or not imported users please contact the helpdesk.
- Anonymise user data after: This setting allows you to determine how users are removed in bulk. Options can be combined if you require, for example
- Days since user has left - This will anonymise a user if their leaving date is in the past + the number of days you select. for example if you set this to 5 days and have a user with a leaving date of 15/01/2018 they would be anonymised after the 20/01/2018 (depending on when you set the task to run automatically).
- Days since user last activity - This will anonymise a user if they have not been active in the system for the number of days set. Activity includes, logging in, making a loan or a request. Keep in mind that users may not perform activity in the system directly, but you might do it on their behalf, so use this with care.
Days since user marked for deletion This will anonymise a user if you there record has been deleted for at least the number of days set. for example if you set this to 5 days and have a user which you deleted on the 15/01/2018 they would be anonymised after the 20/01/2018 (depending on when you set the task to run automatically).
Options can be combined if you require, for example set leaving date to 5 and deleted to 5, and only users have left more than 5 days ago and have been deleted for at least 5 days will be anonymised.
Finally set a schedule for when you want this to run automatically.
If you do not want to run this process automatically and just want to anonymise users on an ad-hoc basis set the schedule to a date/time in the past as a one-time run. This will allow the task to be created but not execute it unless you anonymise a specific user from within their user record.
Anonymise specific user
To anonymise a specific user you must first have setup the 'Anonymise user task', see above for further details.
To anonymise a specific user open their user record Modules > Users > User Search then firstly verify if they have any active loans you need to deal with first. If you wish to go ahead and anonymise the user click the anonymise link on the left and confirm your action. This will anonymise the user using the 'Anonymise below user data' settings you defined when setting up the task (as per above), it does however ignore the 'Anonymise user data after' settings.