This sections allows you to define groups of fields which can then be searched together from a single search box. The Field Groups already defined in the application are:
|Field Group||contains these fields|
|Titles||Title, Sub Title, Alternative Title, Journal Title, Previous Title|
Note that defining field groups should be done AFTER you have finished defining new fields in Field Maintenance (old), but BEFORE you define Content Types, as you will need the field groups when defining search screens for the Content Types.
This page describes:
- defining field groups for different languages, OPACs and Application Standards
- adding a new Field Group
- editing a Field Group
- deleting a Field Group
- deactivating a Field Group
- activating a Field Group
To access Maintain Field Groups, select System Management > Database Configuration > Maintain Field Groups.
This takes you to the following page, which displays the existing field groups:
All the field groups are ticked, to show that they are active.
Defining field groups for different languages, OPACs and Application Standards
You can define field groups separately for different:
- languages - any languages that are enabled in the application
- Application Standards - the only Application Standard that is currently relevant to Field Groups is the Soutron standard, which is the default.
Before adding or editing a field group, select the language and/or OPAC that you wish to work with.
If no changes are made then the default name and field selections apply.
Adding a new field group
A typical new field group might be Authors, which could include the Authors, Corporate Author and Editors fields.
Note that thesaurus fields in field groups do not have the lookup facility that they have if they are on the search screen in their own right.
To add a new field group:
- Click Add a new group in the Actions menu.
The following page appears:
For the new field group, enter the following (required fields have an asterisk next to the label):
System Name * A name for the field group, which must be unique among the field groups Display Name Optional, but it can be the same as the System name Active By default the new group will be active - untick to deactivate it Use Suggestion
Tick to allow suggestion search in this field group, whereby when the searcher types into the Text field group, the system will present a drop-down list of matching entries from which the required entry can be selected. By default this is not ticked.
Note that this function depends on Suggestion being turned on in OPAC Maintenance.
Fields Tick the fields that are to be in the field group
- When you have finished, click Save.
This returns you to the list of field groups, with the new field group added to the list.
Editing a field group
To edit a field group:
- Click Edit next to the field group.
- The same form opens up as for adding a new field group.
- Make the required changes then click Save.
Deleting a field group
To delete a field group:
- Click on the group to highlight it
- Click Delete selected groups in the Actions menu
The following confirmation message appears:
- Click OK to continue with the deletion.
You will be returned to the list of field groups, with the deleted field group missing from the list.
Deactivating a field group
Deactivating a field group hides it from use within the application, although the definition remains in existence, so that it can be re-activated at any time.
To deactivate a field group:
- Click on the item to highlight it
- Click De-activate Selected Group in the Actions menu
The field group remains in the list, but with no tick on the box.
Activating a field group
To activate a field group:
- Click on the item to highlight it
- Click Activate Selected Group in the Actions menu
The box for that group is now ticked.