This module has been replaced in version 4.0.3. See alternative guide.
The Requests and Reservations function allows users to request items from the library. There are three types of request, all of which are related to a specific catalogue item:
Request a copy of the item to borrow:
|Request a photocopy of the item, typically a journal article, book chapter or conference paper. These require completion of a Copyright Declaration Form by the user.|
|Request a copy of the item to keep. For example, if a library maintains stocks of publications by its parent organisation, with copies that can be given out for retention by the user. These will be recorded as requests but not loans.|
Before the Requests and Reservations function can be used, it needs to be set up in various areas of the application. This is because the functionality can be enabled at different levels, allowing a great deal of flexibility.
The following areas need to be set up:
- System level - whether Requests are enabled in the system, and how many per user
- Access Permissions level - which request types are enabled for different Content and Record Types for different user types
- Office level - for Supply a Copy settings
- Library level - for collecting/sending settings
- Record Type level - which request types are enabled
- Record level - which request types are enabled
You also need to create:
- your own version of the copyright declaration form (or use the sample one supplied with the system)
- notification emails to library staff for Supply a Copy requests (optional)
Once this is all set up, Requests and Reservations are managed in the Request Maintenance area of Loans.
Note that if you decide to enable Requests and Reservations AFTER you have already created catalogue records, the system will not retrospectively enable Requests and Reservations for those records. You would need to either edit each record manually if you only have a few, or contact Soutron, who can set the request flags on the records programmatically.