If using version 4.1.4 or later these settings have been migrated to the new platform, please see Search Templates.
You can define a different results screen for each Content Type. Alternatively, you can define a default results screen which is then used for all Content Types for which a results screen has not been defined.
In earlier versions, search results screens were defined in Content Type Maintenance (old)
This page describes the definition of search results screens. This allows you to list:
- the fields that are to appear on the search results screen
- the order in which they are to appear
- how they are to be sorted
- which fields are to be clickable links to the full record
Note that defining search results screens should be done AFTER you have finished defining the Content Types
To define the search results screens, select System Management > Search Result Templates.
This takes you to the following page, which displays a list of the Content Types for which search results have already been defined in the application. The "Default for each Content Type" is built in and therefore always appears in the list.
To define a search results screen:
- Tick the check box next to the Content Type you wish to define the screen for
- Click Edit in the Actions menu
- You are taken to the definition screen:
Defining the sort order
Although it is optional, it is a good idea to sort the records so that it makes sense to the user, and it is preferable to have the field(s) you are sorting by in the first column(s). Alternatively, you can choose to sort the records by relevance.
You can add as many sort levels as you want, although after a few levels it ceases to be meaningful. For example, if you were to sort by ISBN there would be little point in adding another level as there is likely to be only one record for each ISBN.
To define the sort order:
- Click on the drop-down list to select a field to sort by, or leave it as Relevance. The fields are displayed in alphabetical order.
- To change the direction of the sort from Descending (Z-A) to Ascending (A-Z), click the arrow icon to the right of the field list.
- To add another field to sub-sort by, click on the Add Level button and repeat steps 1 and 2.
To change the sort order definition:
- to remove a level from the sort, click the red cross icon next to the field
- to return to the default (sorted by relevance), click the Restore default button
Selecting the type of screen (view) to be defined
There are two types of search results screen:
- Grid - fields are displayed in columns: this is suitable for most Content Types and is the default
- Custom - records are displayed in a "gallery" view: this is especially suitable for images
You need to define at least one view for each Content Type.
- Select which views are to be available for search results: the Grid view is available by default
- If you have selected both views, you need to define which is to be the default view, using the drop-down list
- Then select which one you are going to define
Finishing the process
When you have finished, click Save & Close in the Actions menu.
To exit the definition without saving, click Close in the Actions menu.
Either way, you will be returned to the list of Content Types.