A Document Field allows one or more documents to be uploaded and stored as part of the database record. Users can then link through to see the document in its original format and optionally to search the text of the document.
The following types of document are enabled by default: .pdf, .doc,. docx,. txt, .rtf, .jpg, .gif, .tiff, .xls,. xlsx. This list is defined in an internal database configuration table. Contact the Soutron Help Desk if you want to upload additional file types.
To enable full text searching, the contents of the document are automatically indexed when the record is saved. Documents thus stored in the database are searchable when using the All Fields search.
A Document field appears as follows:
Note that a file size limit can be set for uploaded documents , in Field Maintenance. There is no limit on the number of documents which can be uploaded. Uploading large files may exceed the time limit set by web browsers and may require that the files are uploaded from the server rather than across the internet. Contact Soutron Help Desk for assistance if this a requirement.
This page describes:
- adding documents
- assigning a File Security category
- deleting documents
- how documents appear in search results
- To add a document, click Browse next to the field.
- Locate the file you want to attach and then click Open.
- Click the Upload button.
- To assign a category to a document, click Manage Security to the right of the entry.
- The following screen opens:
- Select as many categories as are applicable.
- Click Complete to return to the catalogue record, which now displays the security category alongside the document: